Friday, October 8, 2010

Day 8 - A photo that makes me angry/sad

Day 8 - A photo that makes me angry/sad




The Columbine tragedy happened when I was a senior in high school. I was the same age as Rachel and Cassie.

Today I substitute taught for the first time in a couple years. Today they did an assembly called "Rachel's Challenge" where we learned that Rachel believed she would die at a young age, she believed that someday she would touch millions of people's lives. She was right. Though I am sure there are probably more people that have said that and been wrong it is still pretty amazing. She wrote an essay a month or two before she died and said that if one person did something kind it would cause a chain reaction and another person would be kind and so on. it would change the world. The speakers that go around to different school and countries tell children that she would want them to cause this chain reaction. She has touched millions of lives! Another reason it makes me sad though is that in this entire assembly about the way that she lived her life they never mentioned that she was told she would be shot if she believed in God - if she admitted that she did. She did admit she did and she was shot - i'd say that is pretty important to her story. I know separation of church and state and all that but it is a pretty huge part of that story to just not mention at all.... Oh well thus is life.

Cassie Bernall was also told by one of the shooters that if she admitted that she believed in Jesus Christ she would die. She would be shot. When asked if she believed in Jesus Christ she said "YES" and was shot that instant. She was shot because she was a Christian. Sure we can argue that they may have shot her anyways. But she dies professing her belief in God. I hope that I would be brave enough to do the same. These girls were my age when they died. This shook my high school to the core as I'm sure it did many high schools at the time.

They both died professing their beliefs! This makes me so sad and angry - so sad and upset that people are this way. That people exist in this world that do such horrible things. SO SAD! It makes me feel blessed that I have never had to be persecuted for my beliefs but still so so sad...

The song below is by a Christian band that I LOVE named Flyleaf. It is named "Cassie" it is about Columbine. These are the lyrics. The video is posted below it.

Cassie - by Flyleaf

The question asked in order
To save her life or take it
The answer no to avoid death
The answer yes would make it
Make it

Do you believe in God
Written on the bullet
Say yes to pull the trigger
Do you believe in God
Written on the bullet
And Cassie pulled the trigger

All heads are bowed in silence
To remember her last sentence
She answered him knowing what would happen
Her last words still hanging in the air
In the air

Do you believe in God
Written on the bullet
Say yes to pull the trigger
Do you believe in God
Written on the bullet
And Cassie/Rachel pulled the trigger

How many will die
I will die
I, I will say yes

Do you believe in God
Written on the bullet
Say yes to pull the trigger
Do you believe in God
Written on the bullet
And Cassie pulled the trigger

(Do you believe)
Do you believe in God (Do you believe)
Do you believe in God (Do you believe)
Do you believe in God
And I will pull the trigger

2 comments:

  1. Wow. Powerful. I had no idea about the Flyleaf song. What an amazing testimony. I'm going to share this post on my wall if you don't mind?

    ReplyDelete
  2. This makes me sad too! But we must remember!

    Thanks for sharing -
    Jamie

    ReplyDelete

 
Copyright ©2011 Small Bird Studios| All Rights Reserved |Free Blog Templates at Small Bird Studios